The steps that residents need to take that were impacted by Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy are as follows:
1. Contact their homeowners insurance to start a claim
2. Contact their flood insurance company if they have to start a claim
3. Register for FEMA disaster assistance. They can go to a Disaster Recovery Center , register online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov/ or via smart phone at m.fema.gov, or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. If they use 711-relay or Video Relay Services (VRS) call 1-800-621-3362.
4. Once registered, FEMA will sent them a package with information about what assistance is available. Please note that the maximum amount of assistance from FEMA is $31,900 and the average after Hurricane Irene was about $8,000.
5. If they have damages about the limit, FEMA may refer them to the SBA for low interest disaster loans for homeowners.